An introduction to surfing for ages 4 to 9 years giving them a taste of this exciting watersport!
In our kids surfing lessons our qualified intstructor will show them how to paddle, pop, ride and understand how to find the right part of the wave to ride.
In the water they will learn:
- How to paddling out through the waves
- Catching waves
- Popping up
- Handling the board and safety
All of the learning is made easier and safer through the use of soft surfboards with flexible rubber fins. Bantham frequently provides small waves which are perfect for the first steps in surfing.
About your kids lesson
First part of your lesson
When you are all suited up, we head to the beach for the first stage of your lesson. We will explain the parts of the board & give you a brief informative beach and ocean safety advice:
- Bottom, fin, leash and rails.
- Leash – why do we use a leash.
- Rips, currents, tides and wind.
- Flags – identifying swimming, surfing & red flag areas.
- Signals – Understanding the instructor’s signals
Surf skills taught
On the beach we will teach you how to handle your board in the water along with our top popup tips and techniques for standing up on your board.
- Head up and board straight.
- Turning and preparing board to catch a wave.
- Lying on the board.
- Correct trim.
- Catching the wave.
- Riding the wave – all the way to the beach: showing correct trim & control.
For under 9’s parents must be at the waters edge or in the water close by your child. Parents must not assist their child onto waves but can be there for support.
In the water
As soon as you are confident with your pop up techniques you will head into the water with your surf coach/s. They will be close by to help you catch waves and give you ongoing instruction .
- All equipment including surfboard and leash suited to your abilities. For beginners we use soft top, stable surfboard which are easy to balance, paddle, stand & surf on giving you the best opportunity to ride the waves.
- Wetsuits and rash vests.
- Professional and friendly surf instruction.
Checking in for your lesson
We look forward to welcoming you to Bantham Surfing Academy. On arrival:
- You will be required to fill in an indemnity form and Covid-19 waiver form before participating in your lesson. It is a legal requirement that children under the age of 18 must be signed for by a parent or guardian who is 18 years old or over.
- If you or anyone in your group has any medical conditions (eg asthma, allergies, diabetes) it is important that you declare these on the indemnity form as well as telling your surf instructor. We are happy to store any
equipment such as inhalers or epi-pens in our dry bag on the beach. Failure to declare any conditions could compromise the safety of you or your group during your surf lesson or in an emergency.
- If you need to make payment for your lesson, that can be completed at checkin. We accept Visa and MasterCard. We are also delighted to accept Apple Pay and Android Pay. We do not accept American Express.
- Children under the age of 10 must have a parent or guardian at the watersedge for the duration of their lesson.
If you choose to be in the water whilst the lesson is taking place, then you must follow any rules or instructions provided by the instructor(s)
What do I need to bring
You’ll definitely need swim wear to wear under your wetsuit and a towel. A bottle of water and a snack to have after your lesson is a good idea too. On hot, sunny days remember your sunscreen, hat and sunglasses. On cold, wet days remember your warm, dry clothes and a rain jacket.
On the day of your lesson, we suggest filling up on a good breakfast but please ensure you eat at least an hour beforehand. Our lessons can be strenuous, and undertaking them on an empty stomach is not recommended.