- Paddle back out.
- How to duck dive or turtle roll to get through the waves.
- Improve your timing and catch more waves.
- Use of currents to your advantage.
- Improve your stance and style.
- Traverse along the wave left and right.
- Consistently catch waves and ride with control to shore.
About your Improver Lesson
First part of the lesson
When you are all suited up, we head to the beach to run over the some basic safety skills:
- Rips, currents, tides and wind.
- Flags – identifying swimming, surfing & red flag areas.
- Signals – Understanding the instructor’s signals
Surf skills taught
During your coaching you will learn to:
- Understand in greater detail how the ocean works as well as rescue techniques and prevention.
- Out back green wall wave surfing
- Positioning in the line-up and wave selection
- Advanced paddling techniques
- Direct pop up
- Bottom and top turns
- Cutbacks to the foam and re – direction
- To generate speed on your fore – hand & back – hand
- Understand how your body movements affect your surfing (biomechanics)
- Fitness to help you improve & nutrition
- Understanding different use of equipment for changing surf conditions
- Using wave and wind models
- And loads more!
owing correct trim & control.
- All equipment including surfboard suited to your abilities.
- Wetsuits and rash vests
- Professional and friendly surf instruction
Checking in for your lesson
We look forward to welcoming you to Bantham Surfing Academy. On arrival:
- You will be required to fill in an indemnity form before participating in your lesson. It is a legal requirement that children under the age of 18 must be signed for by a parent or guardian who is 18 years old or over.
- If you or anyone in your group has any medical conditions (eg asthma, allergies, diabetes) it is important that you declare these on the indemnity form as well as telling your surf instructor. We are happy to store any
equipment such as inhalers or epi-pens in our dry bag on the beach. Failure to declare any conditions could compromise the safety of you or your group during your surf lesson or in an emergency.
- If you need to make payment for your lesson, that can be completed at checkin. We accept Visa and MasterCard. We are also delighted to accept Apple Pay and Android Pay. We do not accept American Express.
What do I need to bring
You’ll definitely need swim wear to wear under your wetsuit and a towel. A bottle of water and a snack to have after your lesson is a good idea too. On hot, sunny days remember your sunscreen, hat and sunglasses. On cold, wet days remember your warm, dry clothes and a rain jacket.
On the day of your lesson, we suggest filling up on a good breakfast. Our lessons can be strenuous, and undertaking them on an empty stomach is not recommended.