When everyone is kitted out with their wetsuits and surfboards you will begin your lesson on the beach learning about ocean and beach safety. Your instructor will then teach you some great pop up techniques which are suitable for all the family.
Once everyone is confident you will head into the water when the fun really begins!
Going for a surfing lesson with the family is a brilliant way to create long lasting happy memories for everyone.
1.5 Hr Family Lesson Prices
2 Adults & 2 Kids Under 9’s
2 Hr Family Lesson Prices
2 Adults & 2 Kids 10-16
About your Family Lesson
First part of the lesson
When you are all suited up we head to the beach for the first stage of your lesson. We will explain the parts of the board & give you a brief informative safety talk & explain the lifeguard flags to
- Bottom, fin, leash and rails.
- Leash – why do we use a leash.
- Flags – identifying swimming, surfing & red flag areas.
- Signals – Understanding the instructor’s signals
Surf skills taught
On the beach we will teach you how to handle your board in the water along with our top popup tips and techniques for standing up on our board.
- Head up & board straight.
- Turning board in waves -back towards waves.
- Lying on the board– showing correct trim.
- Catching the wave
- Riding the wave – all the way to the beach: showing correct trim & control.
- All equipment including surfboard suited to your abilities. For beginners we use soft, stable surfboard which are easy to balance, paddle, stand & surf on
- Wetsuits and rash vests
- Professional and friendly surf instruction
Our surf coach /pupil ratio for a family of 4 is 1:4 .
Checking in for your lesson
We look forward to welcoming you to Bantham Surfing Academy. On arrival:
- You will be required to fill in an indemnity form before participating in your lesson. It is a legal requirement that children under the age of 18 must be signed for by a parent or guardian who is 18 years old or over.
- If you or anyone in your group has any medical conditions (eg asthma, allergies, diabetes) it is important that you declare these on the indemnity form as well as telling your surf instructor. We are happy to store any
equipment such as inhalers or epi-pens in our dry bag on the beach. Failure to declare any conditions could compromise the safety of you or your group during your surf lesson or in an emergency.
- If you need to make payment for your lesson, that can be completed at checkin. We accept Visa and MasterCard. We are also delighted to accept Apple Pay and Android Pay. We do not accept American Express.
What do I need to bring
You’ll definitely need swim wear to wear under your wetsuit and a towel. A bottle of water and a snack to have after your lesson is a good idea too. On hot, sunny days remember your sunscreen, hat and sunglasses. On cold, wet days remember your warm, dry clothes and a rain jacket.
On the day of your lesson, we suggest filling up on a good breakfast. Our lessons can be strenuous, and undertaking them on an empty stomach is not recommended.